Hello! We are definitely ready for spring here in the Northeast. I am excited to plant our garden and to be able to bring in fresh fruits and veggies from the backyard. Berries, tomatoes, greens, and herbs are just not the same from the grocery store. Unfortunately, our garden beds are currently covered in 2+ feet of snow, but peaks of sunshine and chirping birds give us hope. Until the snow storms end and the temperatures rise, we will continue to fire up the stove and make heart warming dishes.
Recently I made Ginger & Molasses Granola from the cookbook Run Fast. Eat Slow. The cookbook is written by Shalane Flanagan, who is an incredible runner and won the New York City Marathon last year. She hopes to win the Boston Marathon this April too.
The recipe is delicious and has strong flavors from the ginger and molasses. It also stores really well and is way better than store bought granola.
For dinner, I recently made pesto pasta with chicken and green beans, salmon with greek salad and quinoa, and chicken burrito bowls.
We've also been enjoying lots of Mexican dishes. Quesadillas are a recent lunch and dinner favorite. My #1 combo is black bean and spinach quesadillas with salsa and guacamole.
Here is our meal plan for this week:
- Monday: Chicken Fajitas based off this recipe here - more Mexican!
- Tuesday: Spaghetti and Meatballs with homemade tomato sauce (simmer diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic, and any veggies you like - we usually do carrots and kale/spinach or peppers and mushrooms)
- Wednesday: Chicken and Rice Stew, recipe from the Run Fast. Eat Slow cookbook. This is one of our winter soup favorites. It has great flavors including ginger and parsley. Served with a baguette for dipping.
- Thursday: Homemade pizza - half pesto and half tomato sauce topped with leftover veggies (perhaps peppers, mushrooms, and/or olives)
- Friday: Salmon with roasted sweet potatoes and green salad.
What have you been enjoying recently?