We've been eating lots of yummy food around here, so I thought I would share some more of our recent meals and snacks.
It is important to eat something within 30 minutes of exercising to refuel your muscles, so I've been trying to make sure we have some quick snacks to grab. Last week I made these amazing whole wheat blueberry banana muffins. You can find the recipe here. They are delicious!
I also made some PB & J Energy Bites, which are from this recipe here. I used peanut butter and dried blueberries. Quick and easy!
I mentioned cara cara oranges last week, and I continue to eat them most days of the week. They are certainly cheaper and better than the berries this time of year. Look at the color! Thanks for the photo Mom :)
For lunches last week I made a farro salad that had pomegranate seeds, parsley, and pistachios. Here is the recipe. The textures were amazing! I love the colors as well. I added some chicken for a little extra protein.
I used the Instant Pot to make a big batch of brown rice, so we had that on two nights. First, I served it with chicken stuffed with roasted red pepper, spinach, and cheese alongside some steamed green beans. Then, I served it with wild salmon and a pomegranate, pumpkin seed, and feta salad. Yum!
Finally, I made a turkey and butternut squash chili. This was a great variation from regular chili. Butternut squash is hard to prepare when you buy it whole, but many stores offer it pre-cut. We found using a vegetable peeler helped get the outer skin off, and then you have to scoop out the seeds like a pumpkin. I based the dish off of this recipe here, but made some changes based on our preferences. Here are the steps:
- In a large pot, saute a pound of ground turkey in some olive oil until starting to brown. Remove from pot.
- Saute 2 bell peppers and 2-3 cups cubed butternut squash until slightly softened.
- Stir in some garlic, 1 tablespoon chili power, and a dash of cinnamon.
- Add the ground turkey from step 1, plus 2 cups broth (chicken or vegetable), a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, and a 15 oz can of beans (we used white beans).
- Stir everything together and simmer 30 minutes.
- Season with salt/pepper as desired and serve with toppings of choice. We used goat cheese and it was incredible!
What are some of your favorite meals and snacks recently? Please share in the comments!